I bet a lot of you saw Nicole’s Star Dresden Tutorial a few weeks ago, right? Wasn’t it great? I knew I had to make one right away.
I have to confess: for whatever reason I’m not really drawn to the traditional Dresden block. But something about Nicole’s idea of making the inside of the petals pointy as well as the outside just completely transforms this for me. Maybe it’s the star shape that then appears in the center, which has a vaguely Islamic feel to it. It goes pretty well with my Palatina Pillow, don’t you think?
I modified Nicole’s instructions slightly to make twelve petals instead of thirteen. The template I used is here if you want it. I basted both the front and back pieces to batting and some muslin before assembling the pillow. The only quilting I did was some hand quilting around the star. The starting point for my fabrics was this cute custom bundle from Fabricworm, with some other fabrics from Amy Butler, Tula Pink, and (no surprises here) Carolyn Friedlander thrown in.
I was about 90% done with this two weeks ago before I left on a trip (hi, future in-laws!), but I had a little snafu with the binding. I’ve never made a pillow with binding before, and I didn’t make it wide enough to cover the multiple layers of batting. So frustrating! I had to buy more of the binding fabric to redo it, because by that point my heart was set on it and nothing else would do. Here’s the back closure.
Another confession: there is just the tiniest voice in my head that’s telling me the star shouldn’t be quite so off-center. I was trying to be all modern and out-of-the-box, but the voice says maybe I went just a little too far. It’s telling me to take my seam ripper, remove the dresden, and make a whole new pillow. I’ve decided to ignore that voice. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand of your own craziness.
However, this brings me to another thing I feel compelled to share with you, which is that I finally figured out how to use my seam ripper… as a ripper! Don’t laugh. I don’t know quite how this eluded me for so long. I had been using it to pick out individual stitches from one side of the seam, but somehow I never thought to position it so that it could slide along the seam between the two layers and pop-pop-pop them apart in one fluid motion. I feel like I discovered the freaking wheel, you guys!
In other news, I’m excited that the Penny Sampler class starts this week. I’ve got all my supplies and am rearing to go. Now that it’s been driven home to me what newbie sewer I am, I just know I’m going to learn a ton!